Energy Saving tips
Follow these simple strategies for conservation and lowering your utility bills.
These tips from Wells Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning are designed to help you reduce your energy bills. Some ideas listed may not be applicable due to climate, age of the home and appliances, and past home improvements. The savings numbers are based on the total summer electric bill. Equipment mentioned must be electric powered for estimates to be accurate.
Did you know…
The average home spends about $1,900 a year on energy costs. Cutting back unnecessary energy use is an easy way to reduce energy consumption while saving money.
In the Kitchen:
- The microwave is the most energy efficient way to cook. It uses two-thirds less energy than a stove.
- The dishwasher uses less water than washing by hand. Letting dishes air-dry saves even more!
- Having a refrigerator full of food keeps it from warming up too quickly when the door is open.
Turn Up the Thermostat:
Set the thermostat to 78 degrees when at home and 85 degrees or off when away. Using ceiling or room fans allows the thermostat to be set higher because the air movement will cool the room. (Savings: 1 – 3% per degree, for each degree the thermostat is set above 72 degrees)
Use Appliances Wisely
- Do laundry efficiently by using the warm or cold water setting and always use cold water to rinse. (Savings: 4%)
- Line dry clothes. (Savings of up to 5%)
- When using the dryer, run full loads on the moisture-sensing setting. Clean the lint trap after each use. (Savings: 0.5 %)
- Conserve energy by running the dishwasher only when it is fully loaded and use the air dry setting. (Savings: 1 %)
Eliminate Wasted Energy
- Turn off appliances, lights and equipment when not in use. (Savings: 2%)
- Unplug electronic devices and chargers. Turn computers and printers off at the power strip. (Savings: 1-2%)
- Unplug or recycle that spare refrigerator in the garage. This will save you up to $150 per year! (Savings: 10-20%)
These energy saving tips are brought to you by Wells Plumbing, Heating, and Air Conditioning – the Temecula and Murrieta air conditioning specialists.